It is really important that we keep ourselves safe as we use knives. There are some basic things that we should learn as we use knives in our homes. The most important thing is to get a knife that is reliable and is safe to use. You can take help from websites such as https://knifedge.net/ in these matters, you get honest customer reviews of kitchen knives along with their rating and features. Consider the following tips to ensure that you use your knives safely as you master the art of cooking.
- Keep your knife sharp
It may sound a little odd that how can this increase your safety as you handle a sharp knife. This is because it has been observed that people cut them more often with a blunt knife. As they handle a blunt knife people tend to apply more pressure than usual which is why there are more chances to cut yourself.
The easiest way to avoid this is to sharpen your knives every two or three months. You can do this on your own with the help of sharpening tools or you can hire a professional to do this for you.
If you have a set of chef knives it recommended that you use a sharpening still as you use those knives. This will help with the slight touch-ups as you sharpen your blades.
- Learn safe knife techniques
It is obvious that when you have good knife techniques you will have much fewer injuries. Here are some tips that you can follow to improve your knife security:
1. You should always hold your knife with one hand and the food with the other hand. Make sure that you have a firm grip as you hold the food article. Holding the food with a claw-like mode can help you reduce the risk of cutting your fingers as well.
2. Use a cutting board as you use a knife. This is a really good way for you to use knives safely. You should consider a big cutting board as well so that you don’t feel cramped as you cut food. This will also help you in improving the life of your blade.
3. For cutting food items, you should keep the tip of your knife pointed at the cutting board and the other end of the knife higher than that. This way you can use your knife more efficiently as well.
4. If you are going to cut a vegetable or fruit item you should cut them in half first. This way you get a nice grip on them as you cut them in small pieces.
5. If a knife slips out of your hand you should never try to catch that in mid-air. Although you might attempt to catch it mid-air, you should avoid doing so.
6. Lastly, as you carry a knife you should always keep the pointed tip towards the flood. This will ensure that you do not hurt anyone as you move around.
- Safe knife storage
A safe storage place for your knives should be your priority as you use knives at your home. There are several ways with which you can store your knives safely and properly without damaging them or hurting yourself.
If there are kids make sure that you keep them out of their reach. You can use magnetic straps to store your knives out of your kids’ reach. Or you can consider a knife block as well. If you want to keep your knives in a drawer make sure that you place them at the back of the drawer so that your kids can’t reach them as they go through the drawers.
- Cleaning your Knives
It is really important that you keep your knives clean at regular intervals of time. You can wash them in your dishwasher if they are compatible with that or you can wash them with soapy water as well. Keeping your knives clean will reduce the chances of getting an infection as you get a cut while using a knife.
Lastly, you should never leave kids unattended as they use knives or any other sharp object. Make sure that you are always there when your kids are using a knife. You can even get them plastic knives, this way they won’t cut themselves as they learn how to handle a knife. You also have the option of teaching your kids using a butter knife as well.